Our business only grows to the extent to which we grow. We grow to the extent to which our business grows. It is a continual cycle between spiritual and physical manifestation. We’ll delve more deeply into that later.
For now, that’s the premise behind-the-scenes of the following article.
Here’s a brief, but very powerful exercise —
IF you take the time to complete it.
Remember: how you do one thing is how you do everything (whether you believe it or not, it is true at some level).
If you find the little voice trying to take you out by saying things like:
- I’ll do it later. I already know this stuff
- That’s too simple
- Why bother, it won’t make a difference
- I don’t have time…
acknowledge it, thank it for its concern and then get right on with the exercise.
What are you tolerating? And, what is that toleration costing you?
EXERCISE (or “own-work”)
- Take out a sheet of paper and a pen or pencil
- Draw a vertical line down the center of the paper, creating two columns
- Label the left column: “what I am tolerating” and the right column “cost to me”
- Draw a horizontal line across the paper below the headings
“HOW TO” do the exercise
In the left column:
- write down one thing that you are tolerating right now. It can be from any area of your life. It could be:
- not requesting clients complete their payments
- a friend constantly needing your attention
- a non-supportive relationship
- a cluttered desk … you get the idea.
Now, in the right column:
- beside the item you just listed, write down what that toleration is costing you. It could be:
- less income
- feeling drained and resentful
- feeling unloved or unappreciated
- perhaps, overwhelmed
Then, ask yourself:
- “What is that costing me?” with ‘that’ being what you just wrote down
- Keep asking yourself “What is that costing me?” after each item you write until you have nothing more to write. The idea is to drill as deeply as possible into the ‘real cost’ of what can sometimes appear to be a small, non-important tolerance.
- Draw a horizontal line under the last entry, across the page.
THINK FOR A MINUTE…
- What would your life look like if you were no longer tolerating whatever you wrote down? Pretend, just for a moment, that it has magically evaporated. Let your mind wander and enjoy life without that tolerance. Sense how you would feel at various levels … emotionally, physically, etc.
Below the horizontal line
- Write down “What I am going to do to stop tolerating this.”
- Then list at least one way you can begin to stop tolerating whatever it is you’ve written in the left column. You may have only one step, you may have several.
You’ve made a DECISION and you’ve listed at least one ACTION to take.
Every DECISION must be followed by an ACTION to affect our reality.
Over the next few days, begin to implement one or more ways to stop tolerating the item(s) you wrote down.
If you wish, post your list somewhere obvious so that you see it on a regular basis. It will remind you to keep taking action toward your goal.
Repeat this exercise as often as you wish with any new tolerations as they appear in your life.